October 13, 2011

Notes From My Kitchen




Each morning, the view from my kitchen is a bit more beautiful :: the crisp colors of fall more vivid than the day before.  Today there was a layer of fog lingering and a sense of calm was in the air.  I've been cooking more, trying some new recipes and finding comfort in the tried and true.



I have a huge collection of cookbooks but am reaching for this one most often these days. Karen's Sesame Noodles has just become a staple in our home.  It's subtle, comforting, and versatile.  In addition to the noodles, I've made the following recipes and we haven't been disappointed yet:

  • Quick Lemon and Garlic Quinoa Salad
  • Red Bean and Quinoa Chili
  • Coconut Peanut Sauce
  • Massaged Kale and Currant Salad



I like to keep this sweet potato puree in the refrigerator for snacking.  It's two good-sized sweet potatoes baked and pureed (while still piping hot from the oven) with one egg.  I don't worry about the raw egg.  I think it gets cooked by the heat of the potatoes but you may not agree.  I find this to be a perfect snack when I'm hankering for a little something sweet.


Also from my kitchen this week ::  Chia Pudding and Fantastic Granola (again).