September 22, 2011

Chop Chop



The UPS man's been visiting lately, with stacks of books in hand.  It's impossible to choose a favorite (every book's a good book in my humble opinion) but I must say this one's pretty high on the list.  


I'm making a conscious effort to eat more greens so the Massaged Kale and Currant Salad looked like a great recipe to try.  Paired with Butternut Squash Soup, hubby and I had a super-delicious, super-nutritious dinner the night before last.


A teaspoon of salt gets sprinkled on the kale and these strips of green leafy goodness are then treated to a massage.  Seriously.  Add some apples, sunflower seeds, red onion, and currants and you've got yourself a bowl full of wholesome nutrition.


My camera and I were accidentally separated, so these photos were taken with my iPhone in not-so-great light.  The end result was really much more beautiful.  I get excited when making new recipes and urge those around me to taste a sample.  On this particular night my brother was visiting.  He liked the kale so much he asked for instructions.  Hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed it too.


You can find this recipe on Cynthia's website, Cookus Interruptus.  There you'll find a wealth of information and a good bit of entertainment too.  And by the way, I picked up this knife at a nearby discount store several years ago and it's become one of my all-time favorite kitchen tools.