July 1, 2010

In A Pinch

Dinner tonight was a happy accident.  There was no plan.  The fridge was a little sparse except for the gorgeous bowl of berries I picked early this morning.

There was a pie crust in the freezer, and I had eggs.  We're not milk drinkers, but there was a partial carton left from when we had visitors a weekend or two ago.  The dill is just now big enough to snip, and we even have leeks growing in a barrel in the potager garden.  I'm still not sure the leeks were ready to harvest, but they tasted good.  You know where this is going, don't you?


You guessed it.  Quiche and berries for dinner.  This recipe was the inspiration, but I changed it up to work with what we had on hand.  It's very simple and very good.  Here's my version:

4 eggs
1 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup real mayonnaise
2 tablespoons flour
3 or 4 small leeks (that probably weren't ready for picking)
a couple of pinches of salt
a couple of pinches of garlic powder
8 ounce block of cheddar cheese
1 deep-dish unbaked pie shell
(my favorite store bought is Marie Callender's)

Whip together the eggs, milk, mayonnaise and flour.  Add remaining ingredients and pour into pie shell.  Bake for 45 minutes (this is the time it took in my oven to become nicely browned on top).

This is now my new favorite basic quiche recipe.  The eggs, milk, mayo and flour make the base, and from there the possibilities are endless.  Voila!  Dinner in a pinch.