October 11, 2009

Tastes Just Like Candy :: Really It Does

At the apple orchard last weekend, we purchased some butternut squash. I'm using it up this morning, trying to stay one step ahead with meal prep for the week. This dish couldn't be easier. Just a pan full of cubed butternut squash, some sliced onion, a drizzle of olive oil and a decent sprinkle of kosher salt, roasted in a 450 degree oven for 30 minutes or so. Yum! I'm not kidding when I say it's just like eating candy. I've been nibbling on it already. In the crockpot is Squash and Black Bean Chili from The Healthy Slow Cooker. It's my first time making this chili, but from the same cookbook I've made Turkey and Corn Chowder with Barley, and Breakfast Rice. Both were great recipes that I'll add to my repertoire. This very nice cookbook, written by Judith Finlayson, includes over 100 crockpot recipes. With each recipe, she includes what she calls Mindful Morsels and Natural Wonders. These sections include tips on nutrition and interesting information about the particular ingredients in that recipe.
In addition to butternut squash, this chili contains onions, black beans, tomatoes, green peppers, chopped green chilis and a variety of spices including a cinnamon stick. Mmmmmmm....it smells great already. I'm dreaming of dinner.