October 5, 2009

Pumpkin Heaven

While apple picking over the weekend I photographed this wagon full of pumpkins. The sun was shining on them, casting all kinds of lovely shadows. These pumpkins were such beautiful shades of orange. And just look at those stems. I do love a pumpkin with a nice tall stem. Seeing these pumpkins made me think of dessert. Not just any old dessert :: my very favorite (well one of my very favorite) fall-time desserts. I thought I'd share the recipe with you today so that you can experience pumpkin heaven too.
My mom used to make this cake when I was growing up. I'm not sure where it originated or what it was really called, but we just call it plain old Pumpkin Cake and it's out-of-this-world delicious! Oh, and it's easy too.
*****************************************
4 eggs
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
(1) 15 oz can solid pack pumpkin
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
*****************************************
(1) 3 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
******************************************
Mix eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until fluffy. Stir flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Add to pumpkin mixture and thoroughly combine. Bake in ungreased 13x9 pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool before icing. To prepare icing, combine all ingredients.
********************************************
Brew a pot of pumpkin spice coffee, cut two (large) slices of cake, put them on your prettiest fall dessert plates, call your very best friend, and ENJOY!