August 10, 2009

Something Different

Have you ever tried a young coconut? I first experimented with these a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised. They have lots of healthful properties, are quite refreshing, and are loads of fun to open, once you get the hang of it. I get my young coconuts at our local health food store, but I imagine they can be found at Asian markets too. They come just as you see in the photo above, but wrapped in a clear plastic film. I enjoy drinking the water as is, but yesterday I tried something different. It's a Melon Milkshake. This recipe called for the water of one young coconut and it made two servings. I'm drinking the second serving this morning. It tastes similar to a dreamsicle, if you keep in mind that it's meant to be healthy and not too sweet. I did change the recipe slightly since it called for a 2" piece of vanilla bean and my local grocer store charges $13.25 for one vanilla bean in a jar. I used 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract instead. If you're interested in trying this fun little fruit, here's a great video that shows you the tricks to safe opening. Enjoy!!