March 19, 2009

Super Efficient Meal Prep

One of the things that hubby and I love to do on the weekends is take a trip to our local Border's Book store. We sit with a pile of books/magazines and a beverage (a cup of tea for me and a Javanilla shake for hubby) and enjoy a couple hours of browsing. Occasionally, if I have a coupon in hand, I'll buy a book that catches my attention. Fix, Freeze, Feast, by Kati Neville and Lindsay Tkacsik was one of my recent purchases.
Yesterday, my college student and I spent a few hours in the kitchen preparing three different recipes from the cookbook. Each recipe makes about three entrees that serve four people. So, we made thirty-six meals for him to take back to school and have ready and waiting. He did the preparing and I cleaned up along the way :: it was definitely super efficient meal preparation.
Chicken Parmigiana
The chicken, sauce and cheese are in the bag and ready to go. It just needs to be popped in a pan and baked for twenty minutes.
Rose City Teriyaki

This is flank steak in a marinade that smells heavenly! Thaw and cook for 20 minutes and dinner is ready.

Basil-Balsamic Chops

Another heavenly-smelling marinated dish. These need to be cooked for eighteen minutes.

Also included in the book are breakfast, side dish, soup, sauce and dessert recipes. Our plan is to continue preparing ahead so that an entire meal can be pulled out of the freezer when needed. We give this book five stars for ease of preparation and efficiency. We'll let you know how the recipes rate once they've been taste tested.