January 2, 2009

Natural Cleaners

I bought the book Clean House, Clean Planet, by Karen Logan a while back and have been wanting to try out some of the recipes and ideas for non-toxic cleaning products. In this book, the author teaches you how to use a handful of common ingredients and turn them into effective alternatives to harmful store-bought cleaners. I thought I'd start out by making an all-purpose cleaner. I've been using Trader Joe's Cedarwood and Sage Multi-Purpose cleaning spray for several years and have been very happy with it, but I'd like to be able to make my own products using the ingredients I have on hand. I made the "Alice's Wonder Spray" and will keep a bottle in each bathroom and under the kitchen sinks. It was quick and easy to make. I'll keep you posted on how well it works, but so far so good. This is another book on the same topic. I borrowed it from the library and find it to be very informative as well. Like Clean House, Clean Planet, it is full of tips and recipes for healthier cleaning. If you have any tried and true recipes or tips I'd love to hear about them.