February 15, 2012

Slow Motion Quilting




If you're a quilter you know about the temptation to start a new project before the current one ones are finished.  I'd like you to meet my newest project.



It's a log cabin of sorts :: a little different than any log cabins I've ever done.  I'm using a variety of Liberty of London prints and some Kona cotton in a crisp shade of white.


I've come to realize that, for me, quilting is much more about the process than the end result.  It's a luxury (think glass of wine and bubble bath), that I look forward to indulging in.  Quilting feeds my soul.


My quilts don't come together very quickly.  In fact, I'm completely amazed and somewhat secretly envious of those who can start and finish a work of art in less than one week's time (visit this gorgeous blog and you'll see what I mean).  



I have one speed only when it comes to making quilts.  Slow. Really slow.  It's confusing at times when I sew with friends.  At the end of the day they're leaps and bounds ahead of me. That's what happened with this quilt.  The workshop was last November.


Most of the girls left that day with a completely finished quilt top. I'm still working on mine.  Today I have eighteen blocks completed.  


I can't really explain my sluggish quilting pace.  I think I just like to savor every second and protect this luxury time from the treadmill of everyday life.  No rushing and no stress.  


I'll be sure to share the finished quilt with you.  Just don't hold your breath....it might be a very long while.