January 30, 2012

Dish Washing


I've been spending a lot of time thinking about dish drying methods.  Drying rack or no drying rack?  Bamboo or stainless steel? Utensil holder or not?  Should it be collapsible, and if so, where would I store it when not in use?   I'm not sure it's normal to give so much thought to a topic such as this.



Right now we dry our hand-washed dishes on a microfiber towel by the kitchen sink and I've been feeling uninspired.  I believe in surrounding oneself with beauty whenever possible.  It makes the everyday a little more special.


I made myself a dish mat this weekend out of fabric that makes me smile.  I mean, really, every time I look at it I feel happy.


The size is sixteen inches by twenty-four inches :: just right for the space, and plenty big for my needs.  I didn't use a pattern, but decided how much focus fabric I wanted and then added a smaller piece of linen to either side.  The backing is cut from a bath towel, one that I found at a local outlet store.  There's enough left over to make two more.



This morning I stumbled across this tutorial for making perfect corners.  It's a brilliant idea to add stability and keep things nice and square.  A day late and a dollar short, but I'm looking forward to trying it soon.


The jury's still out on the perfect dish-drying solution for our home.  I'm leaning toward a collapsible unit that would sit upon my brand new mat.  Perhaps something like this, or a similar style made of wood.  I need a little more time to think about it.