December 18, 2011

Keeping Christmas Simple


The older I get, the more I crave order, peace, and simplicity.  For the last few years, I've been eliminating things on my Christmas To-Do List.  It feels good.


Our tree is artificial and not too big.  The ornaments are sentimental, ones we've collected or been gifted over the years.  Most of our decorations fit into one box now.


I no longer send Christmas cards.  I stopped that several years ago when I noticed I was feeling burdened by the task.  Yesterday I had a conversation with my friend about this. She sends beautiful, heartfelt cards every year.  It fuels her soul and makes her happy.  I appreciate the time and thought and feel grateful to be a recipient.  I'm happy to be okay with removing that task from my list.  No guilty feelings.


I took advantage of a mild day last week and snipped some greens from our bushes and trees.  Dried yarrow from our summer harvest was in the shed.  It all worked together nicely and brings a little of the outside in.


I've been thinking about gift exchanging and how I might like to change that too. Not just at Christmas, but birthdays too.  Handmade feels right, and maybe it could be given "just because", without the pressure of a date on the calendar.  A surprise package that arrives in the mail on an average, ordinary day to say I'm thinking of you.  That would be nice, wouldn't it?  Your favorite birthday cake, homemade.  An afternoon together at the coffee shop to chat.  The newest movie you've both been wanting to see.  A walk in the park on a beautiful day.  Lunch on the patio.  Still pondering this and feeling like it's time to make a change.