January 17, 2011

A New Home and Twice Loved


Hubby and I took a little road trip this weekend to purchase an antique sideboard.  It was part of a recent estate sale and was still waiting to find a new place to call home.  There were other "leftover" pieces too, all special in their own way.  I wasn't looking for stemware but there happened to be a box full of beautiful pieces that needed a second chance.  


I have a soft spot for old things and it brought me joy to carefully unwrap and wash each and every glass.  They looked so lovely drying in the sunlight.


Most of my antique treasures come from thrift stores.  I often wonder who owned them before me and I dream a little about how they were used in their previous homes.



 This time, I was lucky enough to meet a family member of the previous owner.  We chatted a little about her brother and how he loved to collect things.  He liked to read too, and had a room filled to the brim with old books.  I could see the pain in her eyes as she talked of parting with her brother's belongings.  She loves old things too, but one can only keep so much.  I promised her I would treasure each and every item that came home with me that day.  I always keep my promises.


The sideboard now sits in my foyer and looks like it's been there forever :: just the right size and just waiting to be pampered.  It's really very beautiful.  I'll show you sometime soon.