My blog vacation lasted much longer than anticipated. Thank you so much for your comments and emails. We're all fine here, just a little bit of life getting in the way of things. My camera did lots of capturing while I was gone from this space, so we'll certainly have some catching up to do.
I've been working on designing a new blog in a new space. We've changed the type of computer we're using and there are some real advantages to making the switch. It's not quite ready to share yet and I'm not sure when it will be finished. So, in the meantime, I did a little redecorating here to incorporate some of Blogger's new features. I hope you like it.
The hexagon bug has bitten me. I'm enjoying this new-to-me project because it's easily portable and can be done in little snippets of time. I ordered pre-cut 1" hexagons from this online shop to save time and increase accuracy. I punched a hole in the center to make removal easier.
There are many tutorials out there for making hexagons and I used bits and pieces from several. Mostly though, I followed this one from Bee In My Bonnet. I didn't cut my fabric in the shape of a hexagon as she does. I just used a two-and-a-half-inch square.
These rectangular paper clips work perfectly for holding the fabric in place as you begin to sew. The sewing is quite easy....really just picking up a stitch at each fold.
The best thing about this method is that thread removal isn't necessary! All of the stitching is done on the back and can be left in place.
I'm planning to make this an ongoing project. It's a fantastic use of scraps and is really fun to do. These particular hexagons may find their way into a baby quilt. There's no baby in mind yet, but there's a hope chest waiting to be filled.