August 2, 2010

Appetizer for Lunch


The square-foot garden is overflowing.  Four tomato plants and a monstrous mass of cucumbers have just about overtaken my little 8'x4' plot.  Thankfully, they are forgiving of me and my snippers.  There's been lots of pruning to keep the neighbors (peppers, basil, dill and parsley) happy.  Yesterday I spent several hours cutting side shoots from the tomato plants.  Trimming and staking, trimming and tying, trimming and training. In the process, a few not-quite-ready tomatoes were disturbed.  Those are the green ones you see up there on the window sill.  Will they turn red or do I need to make Fried Green Tomatoes?  


Hubby and I had an early dinner date planned so instead of lunch, we ate this very colorful and very fresh appetizer.  It was inspired by a delicious salad a friend shared with me last week.  It's not even a recipe and I'm sure you've done this before, but just in case you haven't....slice and layer a gorgeous homegrown tomato, drizzle the stack with olive oil, sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and crumbled feta cheese, and throw a little basil on top.  I used pesto basil :: it's an upright bushy plant with cute little variegated leaves. Oh so good.

2 comments:

  1. all I can say is those tomatoes must be fake or they would be rotten by now. I'm really missing a new post. How about it. Maybe you are a little busy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all a little but worried, it has been so long since the last post...and we miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You just made me smile. If you have a question please send me an email so I can be sure to reply.