September 14, 2009

Year Round Herbs

One of my favorite things about summer is growing fresh herbs in the garden. Our garden alway has the common herbs :: thyme, basil, rosemary, sage and oregano, and it usually has some others thrown in for fun. Pineapple sage is one of my favorites. It smells heavenly and has beautiful little red flowers that attract hummingbirds. This year I planted chamomille, lemon balm, and melon sage too. Admittedly, I don't use the herbs to their full potential. It's really just a snip here and a snip there whenever I happen to need some for cooking.Over the weekend I potted some of the garden herbs to bring inside for the winter. I'm not the best at keeping houseplants alive, but the idea of having fresh herbs a few steps from the kitchen throughout the fall and winter is very appealing to me. The table in front of our big picture window seemed to be the perfect spot.
The sage is already looking a little droopy. Maybe it's not meant to be inside?? Wish me luck, I think I'm going to need it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sage is moody...stick with it! That's basil behind it right...because it looks as happy as can be with its new home! Good luck and happy cooking.

    www.ahandmadechildhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You just made me smile. If you have a question please send me an email so I can be sure to reply.