June 12, 2009

Applique Fun

One Thursday evening each month and every Monday morning, our quilting guild offers what we call Sit and Sew. Sit and Sew's are great for working on unfinished hand-sewing projects while visiting with a lovely group of ladies. Most of my quilts are done exclusively on the machine, so I decided to do an applique project to work on at our gatherings. For the past month or so, I've been tracing, cutting and preparing little leaves and flowers that will be appliqued on the prettiest little cottage quilt designed by Teri Christopherson. The center of the quilt, which is the appliqued portion, is 22" x 22" . The remainder of the quilt is made of nine-patch blocks. The quilt I am making is called Buttermilk Farm and it's one of nine charming quilts in Teri's book Summertime, published by Black Mountain Quilts. I'm fairly new to applique and am brand new at using the freezer paper method, but so far so good.
A few more pieces to prepare and I'll be ready to start the applique process. This old thrifted feedsack fabric will be the background for the quilt and I plan to use fabric from my stash for the nine-patch blocks.