January 5, 2009

It's A Keeper

In our house, we love to try new recipes. With each new recipe, we decide whether or not it's "a keeper". If it is it gets added to our recipe software, Mastercook. We have an older version that we've been using for years and it works just fine for us. Since I don't use a laptop computer in the kitchen, I print each recipe, put it in a protective cover, and add it to one of our recipe notebooks.
This salsa recipe was given to me by a friend and it definitely qualifies as "a keeper".
Black Bean Salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 whole tomato, chopped (I usually use 4 roma tomatoes)
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 small onion (preferably purple), chopped
4 sprigs cilantro (I usually add more), chopped
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
Combine all ingredients and refrigerate. Serve with tortilla chips as an appetizer or spoon over fish or chicken.