April 24, 2012

The Fundamental Fifty Wardrobe :: Part One

My wardrobe has undergone a major overhaul and I'm feeling like a new woman.  



It's never been a strength of mine :: making thoughtful clothing purchases and putting together outfits that are functional and comfortable.  Like many women, I've had a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear for the majority of my 48 years.  The concept of a capsule wardrobe was foreign to me and most of my pieces were unworn, collecting dust and taking up valuable space.  

My closet didn't feel good either.  It was cluttered and unorganized.  Hubby and I share :: we each use one side of our moderately-sized walk in.  I'd been thinking about reconfiguring the space to better accomodate my stuff and then it hit me.  I didn't need more storage.  I needed to simplify. 



I began searching the internet for guidance.  What exactly is a capsule wardrobe?  How could I adapt the classic capsule wardrobe to my lifestyle?  I didn't need a suit with pieces that coordinate.  In fact, I rarely have the need for anything dressy. My days command comfortable clothing.  How do I build a casual wardrobe using pieces that can be dressed up a tad on occasion?


Project 333 kept coming up during my research and the idea was very appealing to me.  I decided to use this method for inspiration and adapt it to better suit my life.  I sorted through my clothing, creating a pile for donation, one that held possibilities, and then the "keepers".  I adopted the Project 333 concept of focusing on four seasonal wardrobes and took off running.  

This wasn't a one-day project.  In fact, I've been working on it for several months, a little at a time, and it's still a work in progress. My springtime wardrobe is complete and I'm calling my effort The Fundamental Fifty.  Each of my seasonal wardrobes will contain fifty items to include tops, bottoms, outerwear, shoes, and accessories like belts and scarves.  It does not include sleepwear, workout clothing or jewelry. Ideally, many of the pieces will be multi-seasonal.



It's not about saving money but I do believe that will happen in the long term.  It's about shopping smarter and living more simply and deliberately.  It's about creating spaces in the home that feel serene instead of overwhelming.  And it's about enjoying getting dressed every day.


I'm using a tool to create and track the options that are possible with my fifty wardrobe components.  It's called Stylebook and it's been loads of fun.  This app allows you to import photos of your own clothing, create different looks, and track how often each piece is worn.  No more holding onto pieces that aren't living up to their potential!



My closet is much more organized these days and although it looks fairly sparse, I have more choices than I've ever had before.  Oh, and this project has inspired me to do a little decorating too.  I'm beautifying my closet in a few simple ways. Photos soon.