December 4, 2009

Twinkling Lights and Memories

I'm trimming the tree today. It's not a fancy tree, just one that's filled with happy memories. Some of the ornaments are more than twenty years old and some were purchased last year. I usually add one or two new ornaments each season. My very favorite ornaments are those our son made for us :: a preschool class photo in an oval frame, a tin lid punched in a tree design, and a reindeer made from clothespins. Of the store-bought ornaments, this is one of my favorites. Its heavy and shimmery and looks beautiful hanging amongst the lights. We have had two of them. Whoops!

While trimming the tree, I remembered a holiday recipe I've been wanting to share with you. It was served at a baby shower I attended many years ago and we've been making it ever since.

***

Hot Apple Cider

***

1 1/2 quarts apple juice

1 quart cranapple juice

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon whole cloves

1 tablespoon whole allspice

12 inches cinnamon stick

***

In a piece of cheesecloth, tie together the cloves, allspice and cinnamon sticks. Dissolve brown sugar in the juices in a large saucepan. Add seasoning bag and simmer for 20 minutes. This can be kept warm on the stove or in a crock pot. It's quite a delicious treat and it makes your house smell heavenly. Enjoy!