June 3, 2009

Springy and Fun

I don't think I've shown you this quilt before. It was super fun to make and came to life using some sample blocks sewn for a volunteer effort my friend and I were doing. We were working with a group of young girls who had never sewn before, helping them to make a quilt for a life skills class. Because they were new to a sewing machine and they were not allowed to use a rotary cutter, we decided to do foundation blocks that were made using different sized strips that they randomly cut with scissors. They started with a 12x12 piece of muslin and sewed their strips to that piece. The end result was that every girl's block turned out to be the same size, making the quilt very easy to put together. Their quilt turned out beautifully and now hangs proudly in the hallway of their school.
It was so much fun that I decided to use the sample blocks and continue making a quilt of my own. This one is backed with chenille and hand tied. The fabric is Moda's Celebrate Spring by Sandy Gervais.

1 comment:

  1. It's lovely - screams SPRING! and looks very "clean" - you know what I mean - right!?! Fun ric-rac.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You just made me smile. If you have a question please send me an email so I can be sure to reply.