April 6, 2009

More About the Everything Tote

When I bought this book last weekend I knew it would be great for honing my sewing skills. I'm determined to graduate from the "stuck at beginner" stage to the "comfortable intermediate" and the Everything Tote really grabbed my attention. Fabric selection was easy. I have a nice little stash and knew just what I wanted to use. The main body of the tote is cut on the fold so that you have only one piece instead of a front piece and a back piece. If you are working with a directional print and you cut on the fold, this is what will happen:

The fabric is upside down on the back (see the little birds flying upside down?). Oh well, I'm honing my skills and now I know. I made quite a few other mistakes along the way (it took two tries to get the box corners right), and it took me way more time to construct this bag than it should have, but I am delighted with the results.

Up next :: Pajamas for Everyone :: Another project from Weekend Sewing